Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Journey to the Winter Wonderland!

Greeting to all!

It is so exciting to experience new activities and sceneries. Such a great blessing during this Christmas break! It is good to relax after a first ever semester.

Happy New Year!!
May the blessing from our Lord above be with you. This is the new year. The time of newness. May He fills you with peace, love, and strength.

It seems so long of a break, but I am so glad that I had one. Usually, I have only two weeks break, now it's three weeks. I think this is one best part about college. In a way, it is a really good thing because students can rest their minds and enjoy a bit. It is so refreshing after the break. Quite abnormal, I felt restless and wanted to go back to school. I guess, I had enough relaxation.

During this Christmas break, there were so many great things that happened and I am glad to be a part of.

My first Christmas in Canada was not bad at all. Usually, during Christmas time I have something to expect, but this time I have none. I was holding back and just trying to go with the flow. However, at the same time, I thank the Lord that He gave me such a great family. Before we went to Calgary, Alberta (further north of Canada), there came some relatives who spent Christmas with us. We played games and enjoyed each other company. One of the game is called, "pit", if you are a Mennonite you should know. On the Christmas morning after the reading of Christ's birth, we opened up gifts. We opened one by one and trying to guess what we got. It's quite fun because I had to wait instead of just right away open up all the gifts. Patience. Since this was my first Christmas, my family had me hunted for one of my gifts. And there I found a guitar! I really thanked my host family and the Lord that I got this as a gift. Such delight! However, there were something else that stroke me. Since I like hot stuff, I got a pack of "chilli" bottles. So good!

On our journey go Calgary, we were on the planes. Calgary during nighttime was spectacular. "Welcome to Winter Wonderland!" was my first impression. Beautiful. Snow-cold, frigid, and lifeless-but at the same time what was made by our Maker is fantastic. So beautiful, even though it's just white.

On the second day, while I was there. We went tobogganing. My first time ever to sled. It was so much fun. Then, face-washed! I wished to have that in Cambodia, but not in Canada. Brrr!

Then we also went to the mountains. It is so wonderful to see such great and high mountains. They were rocky mountains filled with snow, some of them still contained the rugged shapes. There were some wild animals we saw along the road. The pines and evergreen trees beside the road are like those in Narnia movie. Spectacular! Then, to the frozen lake we went. I walked on the frozen lake! Sometime I thought what if it cracks. Oh ooh! But, it was alright. Something even more important to see was the displays at the bear country. I was much advise about bears. Now that I was in the Bear Country what should I do? Fortunately, there wasn't any bear. Hibernating :) I got a small booklet that tells about bear. "Never ever run from a bear!" it said. But, Mr Hein-Logos Principal- told me that there are some I need to run from. Maybe those are bears from Kelowna =D


We also went to see the Calgary tower (190.81 m). It is another place to see the world of Calgary. So beautiful. There was also a section in the tower where it was built with glass. You can see through the bottom. Pretty scary if you try. But, it's 100% safe.

The family gathering was unique. I was reminded about Khmer New Year! Christmas is much like Khmer New Year! It is a time for reunion and celebration with the loved ones. Turkey dinner was a delight! And wine, different ones like Koniach, I tried. They warms you up. But strong. Arrr! I'm glad I took some, but no more.

Canada is indeed a cold country, but with so many warm-hearted people. My host family's reunion brought good memories I have had back home. I was most welcomed here. God is so good and gracious. It is so good to be a part of a family, and not just a stranger. It is good to have a family, no matter where we are. Also, because of such great hospitality, I gained 10 lbs. this break!

I had such a great break and enjoy Canada so much (indoor :). Now, I am ready to go to partake once again the journey of academic life. It was so refreshing! That's why college is good.

Thank you all for following up my story, supporting, and as well having me in your prayers. I ask that our wonderful Lord Jesus Christ bless you all richly in this new year. May the steps you take be filled with confidence and strength. May his love and peace dwells with you no matter what circumstances are on the way. Amen!

Please pray for my coming semester, so that it will progress affectively, and that whatever I do will be a great example and good encouragement to those around me. Most of all, pray that I know how to balance well with my life. Please also continue to pray for my nursing application that it will go smoothly because I am quite impatience to partake the service for my Lord back in Cambodia. Thank you all very much.

Blessings,

Sureyah

1 comment:

  1. This is great! Now I can read posts about your life there. You know that I am in the process of making a website too. Hahaha, good job bro! So I don't really get the tone. Were you happy that you gained 10 lbs? Praise the Lord that you have been enjoying Canada with a lovely family. :)

    ReplyDelete